York Street is working with one of London’s largest Estates to secure a Senior Building Surveyor to join the existing team.
With over 300 years behind them, this Estate offers an excellent opportunity to work on a plethora of projects in the portfolio, including retail, hotels, prime residential, education and office space.
Description of the Role
Reporting directly to the Projects Director, the successful candidate will work closely within the building surveying and project management team. The role will be to provide building surveying and project management services across the estate on residential renovation projects up to approximately £500,000 per unit. The aim is for the Estate to be the world’s leading location in which to live, work and visit.
Responsibilities will include:
- To work appropriately as a member of the Building Surveying team;
- To largely contribute to the work of the team in respect of residential projects that are up to £500,000 in value;
- To assist with the professional work associated with Licenses for Alterations, Deeds of Consent, Schedules of Dilapidations and neighbourly matters;
- To contribute to the work associated with cyclical and planned preventative maintenance;
- To work collaboratively on projects over £5m in value with other members of the Building Surveying Team;
- To ensure that building surveying and project management skills are delivered to high standards, achieved in combination with good value for money;
- To contribute to the effectiveness of the team to promote an efficient and happy working environment;
- To ensure that best practice procedures are adopted and followed in respect of project management and building surveying;
- To have and apply sound technical knowledge to related activities, including but not exclusively, landlord and tenant legislation, statutory legislation, including Planning Laws, Building Regulations and Health and Safety as well as industry best practice guidelines;
- To provide comprehensive reporting of activity to the Head of Building Surveying.
- To assist in the communication of building projects to stakeholders including neighbours, customers, and occupiers, including initial communication, regular newsletters and obtaining feedback on completion;
- To co-ordinate with and contribute to the Estate team including Asset Managers, Lettings Team and Property Managers;
- To liaise with the Estate team in respect of invoices, payments and financial matters, projects and building surveying related matters, including the Accounts team;
- To contribute to the promotion of and ongoing development of the sustainability objectives of the Estate;
- To adopt an approach that generally represents the Estate in Central London and in the property market to protect and enhance the client’s reputation;
- To identify developments in project management and building surveying practice that may affect the Company’s operations and to consider how they should respond to these changes;
- To liaise with the Estate team including the Lettings and Asset Management team as needed on building surveying issues;
- Actively engage with other members of the Estate team to ensure an open and collegiate approach to tasks;
- At all times to represent the Estate in a professional manner and to further the Estate’s reputation in all dealings with advisers, contractors, tenants, statutory authorities and the public;
- Ensure the highest levels of written and verbal communications with colleagues, advisers and tenants;
- To assume responsibility for other ad hoc assignments as and when they are identified.
To achieve success in the role, successful candidates must meet the following pre-requisites:
- 4 years minimum PQE in a consultancy, contractor or client-side role;
- Clear evidence of relevant professional qualifications and results to date – Chartered status (desirable);
- Extensive experience of the UK construction market ideally in residential, mixed-use and retail sectors;
- Ideally you will be experienced in working on a variety of developments;
- Strong communication skills and management of stakeholders along with the ability to challenge constructively in project meetings.
Basic: £60,000 - £80,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
+ Comprehensive Benefits Package.
Full package details will be disclosed to those candidates invited to interview stage.
York Street has been tasked in identifying and assessing suitable candidates for this vacancy. Please apply by submitting your CV or direct any queries to Grant Smith on 020 3371 6685.