Senior Property Manager
Our client is a privately-owned manager of healthcare real estate with a vast portfolio nationally in support of the NHS. With the emphasis on generating as much revenue as possible to reinvest in the improvement of services, the real estate portfolio provides a significant opportunity to free up land, for JV investment/development in additional to modernising and expanding clinical facilities and operations.
Description of the Role
Reporting directly to the region Principal Property Manager and working as part of the Property Management team managing the property portfolio for that region. The Senior Property Manager (SPM) is a critical role being accountable for the management of sites and buildings within that area.
The management activity will include lease transactions to convert occupiers to a formal contract, actively managing head lease events, actively managing sub lease events, reviewing and approving Landlord accounts payable activity, reviewing and approving occupier bills, taking accountability for asset management data for the buildings in your portfolio, and liaising with Customers, Clinical Commissioning Groups, internal NHSPS teams and NHS focus groups to strive towards managing an efficient and cost-effective portfolio that supports the needs of the NHS.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing ongoing advice in relation to the occupancy of the estate, advising tenants as to the various responsibilities, obligations and covenants in accordance with their leases or policies if the occupier is undocumented;
- Liaising with valuers, agents and landlords to achieve best outcome on operational lease issues;
- Managing building insurance cover and advising as necessary and managing any claims;
- Attending Landlord and Customer meetings as necessary;
- Reviewing business rates invoices received by Superior Landlords and liaising with the central Policy & Portfolio Management team and with our agent as well as with the various Councils and the VOA regarding merging assessments, applying for empty rates relief and updating them of any changes within the portfolio;
- Leading negotiations of dilapidations and carry out surveys as necessary, appointing surveyors where appropriate. Instruct 6 facet, condition, backlog, maintenance surveys and property searches as and when appropriate;
- Reviewing, managing and if required challenging service charge bill received from Landlords which extends to the portfolio value of £30m per annum from ~700 landlords where NHSPS acts as tenant;
- Reviewing, managing and justifying service charge bills passed onto Customers where NHSPS is the Landlord;
- Supporting the development of key policies and operating processes for the betterment of the property management function and working closely with the Policy & Process Manager to implement such policies and processes.
- Controlling the Income and Expenditure for their properties under their management. A dashboard will be made available to review monthly performance and the SPM should be able to understand the reasons for movement and forecast future trends;
- Developing annual budgets for the properties under the SPM’s management and supporting billing activity to generate timely and accurate billing;
- Reviewing Landlord’s invoices for rent and service charges and processing as required to ensure timely and accurate payment;
- Reviewing costs for time to time to support wider business activities on strategy and cost reduction initiatives;
- Generally having a good understanding of the financial performance for the properties under the management of the SPM and being able to justify cost and any past or future movement.
- Negotiating with Landlords in respect of new head leases;
- Owning the transaction strategies for head lease renewals, sub lease renewals and new leases/licenses. Working with the support teams of the Lease Events team, the Leasing team and other out-tasked service providers to implement the required programmes;
- Drafting of documents for use with Customers. This will include, but not limited to, heads of terms for the granting of leases, licences and memorandums of occupation;
- Managing lease negotiations and rent reviews with agents, landlords, tenants and solicitors as appropriate, achieving favourable terms for NHSPS;
- Managing, in conjunction with the wider Asset Management teams, all asset management and acquisition activities within zone, which will include lease extensions, lease break negotiations and new acquisitions;
- Working in conjunction with the wider Vacant Space lead, take responsibility for formulating a vacation decision within 15 days of receipt of a Vacation Notice and then to subsequently deliver the agreed lettings/surrender execution plan;
- Working in conjunction with the Leasing team to progress the regularisation of undocumented occupants, negotiating terms and progressing legal work for tenancies within the SPM’s portfolio.
- Ensuring all asset management data relating to the SPM’s portfolio is complete and accurate;
- Using Horizon, NAV, CoStar, Aconex and other systems available to actively manage data ;
- Working closely with the Data Support Manager to update the Horizon property database;
- Raising Data Change Notices accurately and timely;
- Supporting asset management data initiatives to collect and validate data points to improve daily asset management activity and the wider use of the business;
- Reviewing regular reports on data to identify any sources of data inaccuracies;
- Generally, to be a good data steward and embrace a data -driven culture identifying errors and rectifying.
- Taking responsibility for Customer relationships for occupiers with the SPM’s portfolio ensuring customers are responded to timely and informatively;
- Dealing with complaints, providing information to support an adequate response;
- Acting as Account Manager (if required) being responsible for the management of the relationship with key customers.
To achieve success in the role, successful candidates will require the following experience and qualities:
- Degree preferred with accreditation from RICS;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a comparable role, with intimate understanding and track record of managing a large diverse portfolio;
- Property management experience;
- Experience of formulating strategies;
- Good market awareness and L&T knowledge;
- Asset management, acquisition and disposal experience;
- Highly customer focused;
- Data and process driven;
- Programme management skills;
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills;
- Personable and a strong team player;
- Commercial outlook;
- Good written presentational skills.
£55,000 - £65,000 per annum (dependent on experience) + benefits.
Full package details will be disclosed to candidates invited to interview stage.
If you are interested in being considered for this opportunity please apply by submitting your CV, including current remuneration details and notice period, for the attention of Grant Smith at York Street or call 0203 371 6689.