We are working closely with a leading Development Management company to appoint a Development Manager to join their Prime residential team in London.
Description of the Role
Reporting to the Development Director and working closely with the Team Leader, the Development Manager will assume responsibility for the successful progression and delivery of development projects through defined milestones, potentially from inception through to completion of the construction works and sales/leasing campaigns.
The initial project that the successful candidate will commence with is mixed use scheme consisting predominantly of prime / super prime residential and retail. This highly prominent development is already through planning stages and the Development Manager will be responsible of taking the build through to completion.
Responsibilities will include:
- Management of projects through defined development milestones;
- Manage teams through the feasibility, planning, pre-letting, funding, development and delivery processes, (Focus on construction and delivery);
- Undertaking feasibility appraisals and various financial analysis to identify viable development proposals. Prepare business plans and report against established financial parameters. Produce and manage project cashflow across all cost aspects;
- Direct project team on the production of all relevant documentation to secure all necessary approval(s)/authorities to proceed with the development;
- Manage negotiation of agreements and resolution of compulsory purchase, rights of light and other 3rd party matters to de-risk for purpose of obtaining debt funding and commence construction;
- Production of project development brief with explicit objectives, roles & responsibilities, programme and deliverables;
- Prepare recommendation and progress reports for reporting to complex stakeholder groups;
- Appointment and management of professional team to design viable development proposals that meet the constraints of the site and applicable planning policies with focus on construction procurement and delivery. (Note: in this specific case the team is largely assembled, so this really applies to other future schemes only);
- Manage planning applications and variations to existing consents through the planning process (submission, consultation, S106 Agreement) to secure consent within budget and programme;
- Manage legal due diligence, funding negotiations and the documentation of all relevant agreements;
- Manage various legal aspects (in conjunction with in-house and external lawyers), EG title reports, planning agreements, consultant’s appointments, construction contracts, lease agreements etc;
- Devise procurement strategies in line with market conditions and aligned with funders’ and stakeholders’ requirements;
- Assist with the negotiation of main construction contact to ensure compliance to development brief and applicable company policies/standards;
- Assist with the appointment and management of contractors and suppliers;
- Manage delivery of the project to ensure completion to agreed quality standards within approved budget and programme;
- Produce concise and value add project reporting on a timely basis;
- Conduct risk and opportunity management exercises to maximise project returns;
- Manage timely budgeting and resource planning to ensure efficient and effective development management of the project;
- Manage and control design changes using the approved change control process;
- Work alongside in-house sales and marketing team to coordinate the sales, leasing and marketing strategies for the project to define targets and deliverables within agreed programme, budget and financial metrics;
- Liaison with the in-house marketing, sales and (potentially external) leasing teams to ensure agreed strategy is implemented and targets are achieved, including approval of all marketing materials;
- Maintenance of the financial appraisals to track the projects progress against approved financial authorities and project metrics;
- Manage preparation for and enable the successful hand over of the project to the asset & estate management teams at completion;
- Production of exit report at project completion.
To achieve success in the role, successful candidates must meet the following pre-requisites:
- 5 years minimum PQE;
- Experience in development (ie construction) of high-end residential and possibly mixed-use;
- Full knowledge and understanding of all stages in the private sector of the project delivery process;
- Track record of delivering or advising on complex construction and development works;
- Experience in leading projects from design through to construction stages (exposure to RIBA stages 1-6).
- Basic: £60,000 - £80,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
- + Discretionary Bonus
- + Comprehensive Benefits Package.
- Full package details will be disclosed to those candidates invited to interview stage.
If you are interested in being considered for this opportunity, please apply by submitting your CV evidencing your relevant experience and suitability against the above criteria. We will then follow up with you directly to discuss next steps.
Should you wish to discuss further, please contact Grant Smith at York Street on 020 3371 6689.